Monday, April 4, 2011

Sewing Update: Baby Quilt Delivered!


Saturday afternoon I went to a baby shower for my cousin Katie, hosted by her sister in law.  It was a beautiful shower.  Everything was pink for a baby girl.

Growing up, Katie was always like a big sister to me; we both lived in Seattle, went to the same grade school and high school, and spent big family holidays attached at the hip.  It's nice to have a girl cousin close in age.

(yep, I'm pretty sure those are matching hats)

Since she and her husband announced they are expecting their first baby, I knew I wanted to give her something special - something handmade for the occasion.  A quilt, naturally.

I've been very into pennant flags recently, and a subtle carnival theme sounded fun.  The wide gray and white stripes reference the old timey circus tents without being too literal, and the rest is pretty on-the-surface.  I think it turned out great.  The flags are interactive, being only attached at the top edge.  They will fray slightly over time, giving it a nice worn in look.  It's hard to tell from the photo, but I embroidered a loopy little string on the fly-away balloon.  Super cute.

Stay tuned for more baby quilt goodness - this will be quite the year for babies among my friends and family!

2 comments:

Ani said...

i LOVE it!!!!

Koriann said...

That picture of you is too adorable!