Monday, January 24, 2011

Crazy Quilting


On Saturday I went to an all day quilting class taught by Patricia Belyea of Okan Arts titled "Counterintuitive Quilting."  In this class we were encouraged to abandon all habits of quilting efficiency and instead scissor-cut each piece, creating one original block at a time.  We went through three stages of blocks, letting each one evolve differently.  Often I found myself sewing together a block, slicing through it with my scissors, and then changing it completely.  I felt a little out of my element at first, but once I got going I really enjoyed the process.  I pushed my limits and, with a little gentle guidance from Patricia, created something I wouldn't have done otherwise.  It was really great fun and it felt good to get back behind my sewing machine for the first time in what feels like months.

No comments: